Saturday 29 September 2012

Forgiveness

Okay, this is a big one. I wrote about acceptance last week and now forgiveness..... it seems I am in therapy with myself! Over the years I have related to this theme more and more. It feels so hard to forgive those 'who trespass against you'. (How powerful is the Lords prayer? It says it all, really.) However I have found forgiveness extraordinary.

A few weeks ago I found myself in a situation where I was ANGRY! I felt hard done by, forgotten and used. Old emotions came up in me regarding another situation where I had felt the same things. I fortunately called a friend of mine, who could relate to the situation, who lovingly 'walked' me through my emotions. At the end of the conversation she told I have to forgive this person: I had to talk to this person and tell them I forgive them. Initially I was scared to do this, I knew I could forgive this person, but could I actually sit with them and tell them?

I made the appointment, met, told my story without blame and told the person I forgave them. This was so powerful on so many levels for me and the person involved:

1) I meant it, I truly forgave and put my issues behind me.

2) The other person thanked me for my honesty and honouring our friendship.

3) A weight was lifted from my shoulders and I felt, still feel, lighter for it.

4) I also forgave myself for taking so long to honour these feelings in me, and I meant that too.

Confrontation is not easy for many people, but speaking your truth in a loving way, owning your feelings and emotions is a powerful experience in responsibility. However, forgiveness of yourself and others creates harmony and deepens relationships.

1 comment:

  1. YOU did that - I thought you were already on higher ground. Well done my darling - I am proud of you. I have one exclusive jar of organic English blackberry & Apple jelly just for you and your boys indulgence.....only thing is you have to come and get it......

    ReplyDelete